Assemblee Chretienne, Drummondville, QC

From BrethrenPedia

Jump to: navigation, search

History

In 1952, Roger Dupont along with Léo Papillon from the assembly at Cap-de-la-Madeleine moved to Drummondville for employment reasons. They sought out and began meeting in the home of Mr. James Howitt who had been living there for a number of years, having himself taken employment in a large manufacturing plant in the city. Paul Boëda along with a few brethren from Sherbrooke gave a helping hand and it was soon decided to start the breaking of bread at Roger Dupont’s home and also to have gospel meetings on Sunday afternoons. At that time Drummondville had a population of 35,000, mainly French Roman Catholics, the majority of whom had never heard the gospel. They started remembering the Lord on September 14, 1952. On that first Sunday 18 broke bread, 10 of whom were from Three Rivers.

The following year, 1953, saw the arrival of Roland Lacombe, the first French-Canadian to be commended to full-time work in Quebec. Three years later, a school building was purchased, moved onto a piece of land and transformed into a Gospel Chapel with the help of Roy Buttery , recently arrived from Saskatchewan. Sometime prior to his moving on to the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region,  persecution resulted in Roy's spending a brief time in the local jail for having distributed Christian literature. 

In 1959, Donald and Beth Cox  arrived to labour in collaboration with Roland Lacombe, the latter eventually departing for Sorel in 1966. He was followed by Joseph Doucet who came in the late 1960s from Detroit, Michigan, following his retirement from secular employment. By 1973, all full time workers had moved on to other ministries, the Cox family to the Gaspésie and Mr. Doucet to Saint-Hyacinthe. Richard and Virginia Strout, serving the Lord at Bethel Bible Institute in Sherbrooke, gave a helping hand until the arrival of Wilfred and Sheila Buchanan in 1975. They were commended to the work the following year and served here until 1984. Others who subsequently laboured here included Donald and Alice Paquin, following a short period of service in Timmins, Ontario, as well as Normand and Jeannine Gosselin, originally associated with the work at Maranatha in Montreal.   

All told, the assembly carried on for some five decades, closing its doors in 2013.

Location

  • Cockburn St. +1954-1955
  • 2020 Mercure Blvd. 1956-2013;

Correspondents

  • James B. Howitt +1954-1956+
  • William Roy Buttery (m. Evelyn) +1958-1959
  • Rolland Lacombe 1960-1961
  • Donald E. Cox @ St. Germain 1962-1964
  • Marcel Tetreault 1965
  • Rosaire A. Mayrand 1966-1983+
  • Guy Veilleux +1985-1989
  • Normand Gosselin @ St-Nicephore 1990-1991, 1999-2010+
  • Denis Godbout @ St-Nicephore +2013;

Alumni

Sources

  • Walterick Publishing Assembly Address Books: 1954-1956, 1958-1980, 1982-1983, 1985-1987, 1989-2000, 2003-2004, 2006-2008
  • ECS Ministries (Emmaus International) Assembly Address Books: 2009-2010, 2013-2014, 2016, 2018, 2020
  • News of Quebec