Joy Vay Kennedy Talbert Roossinck
Birth and Early Life
Dr. Joy Kennedy Talbert Roossinck was born in 1-30-1898 in Neodesha, Kansas. Her parents were married in 1885 in Wilson, Kansas, and lived in Neodesha from 1889 or before. They were presumably involved with Neodesha Meeting Room, KS, Thayer Meeting Room, KS and others.
- John Adkin Kennedy (b. 1860 Carthage, NC - d. 1921 Independence, KS)
- Eva M. Atchison was born 1861 Mt. Sterling, IL to Fielding Hamilton Atchison, cabinetmaker, (b. 1817 Fayette, KY or OH - d. 1879 Mt. Sterling, IL) & Catherine A. Davis Atchison (b. 1828 TN - d. 1894 Neodesha, KS), married 1847 @ Brown, Illinois.
- Eva's parents were living in Buckhorn, Brown, Illinois during the Civil War.
- Hattie May Kennedy (b. 1889 Neodesha, KS - d. 1938 Lawrence, KS), stenographer
- Dessie Fay Kennedy (b. 1892 Neodesha, KS - d. 1926 Independence, KS) stenographer for the Law Office of Chester Stevens;
Joy attended elementary and secondary schooling in Thayer, Kansas. She attended the Kansas State Teachers' College then Colorado University, then earned A.B. @ University of New Mexico State Teachers College in 1928, then her M.S. in Education (1935) & Ph.D. (1941) @ University of Kansas; She did her Ph.D. Thesis on "John Brown in American Literature"; She spent nine years in rural schoolteaching, and four years in high schools.
- Chairman of the English Dept. @ Oakland City College, a General Baptist college in Indiana 1941-1945
- Chairman of the English Dept. @ Emporia State College (Emporia, KS) 1946-1949
- Taught English & Speech @ Doane College in Crete, NE 1951-1954
- Professor of English at Hope College, Holland, MI 1956-1960+;
- 1st husband: Joe Harold Talbert (b. 1893 Independence, KS - d. 1928 Deming, NM), son of Charley John Talbert (b. 1864 WV - d. 1937 Independence, KS) & Kate Talbert (b. 1867 MD - d. 1937 Independence, KS).
- 2nd husband: William Carl Roosinck (b. 1897 Reeman, MI - d. 1967 Fremont, MI)
- William's first wife (m. 1925) was Adeline Caroline Brandt Roossinck (b. 1895 Jefferson City, MO - d. 1958 Reeman, MI), so Joy & William were married somewhere 1959-1967.
Joy died 1-26-1983 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, her residence was in Sheridan, Michigan.